Thursday 10 February 2022

Hold On Gorgeous - with Emma Zappone

Hi there.

The start of any project is an Art of it's own.
Some days we want to craft but the Art just doesn't come easy or we have a plan in our head and it doesn't translate onto paper. This has been me this week. But I persisted. How?

I decided to concentrate on creating something small, so as not to be overwhelmed. I grabbed out my 5x7 Art by Marlene journal and popped out a page ready.
This is my result...



It's far from perfect. But I guess that's the great thing about Art Journaling, everything you create in a journal IS ART. I knew that I wanted to continue playing with the brown tones featured in this months mood/sketch but I also thought I could incorporate the sketch along with it.
I grabbed an assortment of acrylic paints from Dina Wakley and Dylusions, (the colours don't exactly match the mood palette but it's close).



I started to block the colours together like the layers in the sketch. Again this concept seemed better in my head. But again I persisted.
I grabbed a few stamps, some for background work and some as the focal point. The focal point stamps are from the stunning Aall & Create Take Flight set and the background mainly consists of Tim Holtz Glitch1 set. Very textured.



Art Journal pages allow me to experiment and keep building layers with paint and stamping. As I stamped the background stamps I didn't want to cover the acrylic but just 'touch' it so as to have a flow on effect rather than a lets just stamp this here effect. To add to that continuity I doodled some small shapes in black & white to soften the feel.



For the main focal point, I stamped and fussy cut 'her' and the 'wings' out and played with the idea of colouring 'her' in. I decided to only colour 'her' wings as a contrast between 'her' and the background.
I coloured in with a Distress Marker. And then just added small highlights around 'her'. 

To finish it all off I flicked gold and white acrylic and added a quote that really spoke to me through out the making of this page and in most of my creativity.

I hope this simple journal page inspires you to just create, even if for a few minutes, and try what might be floating around in your mind. The final result may just surprise you :)

Stay safe  and stay crafty friends, Emma xx






1 comment: