Monday 22 October 2018

Inspired by the Mood Board Part 3 - with DT Katie Howard

Hello and welcome back for the third and final "Inspired by the Mood Board" post! I hope you have been enjoying seeing the many different ways that I take inspiration from a mood board and I also hope that it inspires you to look at them more closely and see all the varied possibilities that they can result in.
Today's post shows yet another different take on the board and a very different result from the previous two creations. First let's look at the mood board again to remind ourselves (in case you have forgotten!):

No automatic alt text available.

This time I took inspiration from the left and centre bottom images, in particular the foliage and flowers in the the forest picture and the frames on the wall in the centre picture. I also decided to go with the light and bright feel of the centre image, and this is the page that I created:


On my page you can see my frame in brown, drawing on the wood in the bedroom and the trees and path in the forest path picture, and then leaves, foliage and flowers from the forest in shades of green and a touch of deep purple/blue.


I created my own striped pattern paper using distress oxide inks and a brayer. I added some ink to my craft mat and spritzed some water to create a water colour that I then used the brayer to add to the cardstock. After I made the stripes I added some splatters using some blues and blue green inks to contrast with the shades of green already on the background. The colours that I used were: Evergreen Bough, Peeled Paint, Lucky Clover, Crushed Olive, Mowed Lawn and Peacock Feathers and Faded Jeans for the splatters. To make great splatters grab a largish round brush and pick up some of the water colour ink from your mat and simply splatter!


I decided to add some texture to my background using the Distressed Lace stencil and some white texture paste. The white on white is great for adding texture without adding distraction. To emphasize some of the detail in the pattern I grabbed some gelatos (you could use any water soluble crayon) in pale mint green and a purple and added them directly to parts of my background then used a water brush to move the colour around.

While my background was drying I cut some leaves, foliage, flowers and the frame using my electronic cutting machine and a free cut file from Scrapbook & Cards Today. There are many great free cut files around if you have a look! I used the striped background paper to cut the leaves and foliage from and love how they turned out!

Then it was just a matter of assembling the die-cuts and photos on my page. I used some of the left over striped background to finish my page.


I layered under and over the frame and the photos and didn't stick them completely down so they had more dimension where they curled up.


I finished off with a title from the Crate Paper Maggie Holmes collection Gather, using the word "loved" from the thicker set.

So, there you have it, one mood board and three different interpretations! You still have time to get in an entry for this mood board, check it out on the Facebook Group here, we would love to see your interpretation!

Until next time, thanks for stopping by,
Katie x







No comments:

Post a Comment