Wednesday 1 August 2018

Using Project Life cards on a scrapbook page - with DT Katie Howard

Good Morning, and welcome to August! I guess we are well and truly into the downhill run to the end of the year now aren't we?! Crazy is all that I have to say to that little fact!

I am back today to share some more Simple Stories Life in Color goodness. I thought I would show you how easy it is to create a page using 3x4 journal cards, something that Simple Stories loves to include in its patterned paper range and also how they don't just have to be used for project life style memory keeping. It always pays to think outside the square with papers and collections.


I decided to go with a grid style page and I cut the 3x4 cards from the 3x4 Journaling Cards paper down a little to be closer in size to my photos. I chose a mix of cards for their colours, words and pictures or icons and together with my photos found a pleasing arrangement which spread out similar cards. I have used plain white cardstock, but decided it needed a bit of sprucing up so I pulled out my ...wait for it... distress oxide inks! I found that Evergreen Bough, Broken China, Fossilized Amber, Worn Lipstick and Spun Sugar seemed to match the colours in the collection very well. My background was created using the tried and true plastic packaging technique, drying each colour in between so it didn't become muddy and finishing off with splatters of worn lipstick, the perfect middle pink colour! The background helps to unify all the cards as well as providing interest.


I didn't need to do too much more embellishing as with all the journal cards there already was quite a bit going on. But I did add some word stickers from the Expressions Cardstock Stickers onto one of the cards, as well as onto tabs that I punched and added to a few of the cards.


The tabs I punched from the patterned paper, choosing the solids or more solid like patterns. I attached this using my Tiny Attacher from Tim Holtz. Does Tim ever bring out a tool or product that we don't love?! Using the tiny staples is also a great way to add some more detail without it being busy.

I decided not to go with a separate title, I figured there were enough words and phrases on the page without adding more. I did add some journaling in one of the cards, just by drawing my own lines with a posca paint pen in black and using the same pen to write. I stamped the date into the little label section on the same card. So overall a quick and simple page, but a great basic design to use up 3x4 cards or for adding lots of photos, which ever suits!

Thanks for stopping by today,

Katie x


No comments:

Post a Comment