Hello Arty Peeps!
Welcome to March on the Scrapping Clearly blog.
Life has been a bit of a struggle lately and my creative mojo has gone walkabout.
So, inspired by my favourite creative comrade Lisa, I decided to try working with a formula.
Alas, my imagination was also lacking until I remembered these mixed media idea cards I have had for years.
I committed to a play date with my art journal yesterday.
I shuffled the deck and started at the top, no rules except I would use warm colours and whatever I had to hand. The goal was to reacquaint myself with free creative play, it didn't have to be pretty just cathartic.
Here is my first effort
Not so pretty but it got me started in a big way!
Here are the cards I turned up and what I did with them, in order.
- draw or paste a self-portrait I drew stick figure style face with a Posca
- journal with a permanent pen black Posca again
- sew something on twine used to sew on mesh down left side
- draw, paint, or colour a border red bingo marker with correction fluid
- add fluid paint watered down orange paint
- use a sponge to dab paint in random places Dylusions Funky Fuchsia
- include a tag, label, or envelope Heidi Swapp kraft tag
- use stickers Alphas, Simple Stories + CVS
- add washi/tissue tape Tim Holtz music tissue tape
- add a piece of your recycled art
- add an ink wash Dylusions Lemon Zest
Here's a closer look at the stitching,
I'm not too fussed on the mix of colours here but I do like the variety of textures.
While I waited for my other journal to dry I played in my smaller square one.
Here are my cards
- go wild, choose your own I stamped excess paint with a stencil
- use a colour you typically don't use purple watercolor
- write with a paintbrush and ink India ink
- splatter paint crimson watercolor
- doodle correction fluid around writing
At this point I was quite liking what I had, so I stopped using the cards.
I added some stamping with heart bubble wrap and doodled around the hearts,
then added some yellow watercolour (ink spray) with a wet wipe.
It was a productive play date as it got me started on a mini album I have been planning for a while,
something I'm looking forward to sharing with you later this month.
So what do you do when your mojo is missing but you still have the need to create?
Does a formula work for you?
Leave me a comment and let me know.
Thanks so much for dropping by,
til next time,