Thursday 8 March 2018

Bulky Blooms - Mixed Media Canvas by Leonie Neal-Dawson


Hello and welcome, Leonie here with you.

I'm sharing something a little different with you today, well different from my usual 12x12 page anyway.
My subject today is flowers, specifically, bulky ones. I used to use them often on my scrapbook pages
but for a long time now I've only been using either die-cut or very small flowers. 

 I know there are lots of people who love to use bulky blooms, and do it so well, on their scrapbook pages but for me it's about fitting more pages in my albums. Which category do you fall into?

 There are so many beautiful craft blooms available.
Hands up who has a beautiful collection of Prima Blooms in there stash?! 
But if I'm not using them on my pages much anymore the question is what to do with them?
My answer is a canvas, something I can gift to a friend or use as a piece of home decor.

Image result for prima zipper flower

Kylie recently sent me these gorgeous Prima Marketing Zipper flowers from the Sunrise Sunset range. I knew straight away they were bound for a canvas of some sort. I have had this hessian canvas sitting unloved for a while and thought they would make a good match. So I put them together and am very happy with the result.


I applied Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso with a palette knife randomly to the hessian.  
Once Dry I added some detail to the background with the Mayan Calendar Stencil and The Crafters Workshop Light & Fluffy Modelling Paste. I seriously love using Crafters Workshop modelling
paste, it dries quickly to a nice bright white and is absolutely true to its 'light and fluffy' name. 
 I highly recommend it.


Next up I needed some colour to match that lovely turquoise bloom. I used Vicki Boutin Art Crayons.  My first time using these and they were quite easy to use - I scribbled over the dried Gesso and modelling paste and then used a wet paintbrush to blend and spread the colours around the canvas. To finish off the background I added a few small splashes of Black Ink from Liquitex.



I accompanied the Prima bloom with a set of Chipboard Wings from Dusty Attic.
The Chipboard has a light coat of Gesso applied with a sponge and then Distress Oxide inks Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers and Black Soot.

I used the blending tool foam sponges from ranger to apply the inks.


I then headed to Google for a suitable quote about flying.
I used a lovely Heidi Swapp acetate word in my quote attaching it to the canvas with Glossy Accents.


So, have I convinced you to get using those bulky blooms? Or do you use them already? 
Let us know in the comments or leave a link to your 'bulky blooms' creations I'd love to see how others use them.
Cheers, thanks for stopping by today,

Leonie Neal-Dawson.


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

3 comments:

  1. Super pretty! The turquoise looks fabulous on the hessian, I love it.
    I'm with you on the bulky flowers, have a drawer full of them and rarely use them. With 4 boys and a tomboy in the house it was always a challenge to do floral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Leonie this is gorgeous - might make me rethink all those large flowers I have in my stash xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! & those are my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete