Saturday 24 March 2018

Cathartic Art Journalling

G'Day Arty Peeps.

I hope you are making time for creativity in your days.
Along with Kylie and Lisa, I have been spending a short time each day playing in my art journal, for sanity's sake.
It is a bit like meditation but with eyes open and hands busy. An opportunity for me to pour out
the emotions in my head onto a surface.

This first page was started with Dylusions paints and a Crafter's Workshop stencil, dried and overlaid in some places with washi tapes - striped and newsprint.
It became one of those pages that just keeps growing, layer upon layer because you're not really happy with it and don't have any idea where you're going with it.
So, I decided to try to paint a simple black and white image on top, a profile of a woman's face leaning her forehead on her hand. Unable to get it to look how I liked, I covered it too with paints and stencils,
a little more transparently this time.

Then I had a lightbulb moment and reached for my Lion head stencil, made with my Silhouhette,
and some white Dylusions ink spray. I scribbled over the stencil outline with a black pen.
It was only left to stamp on the page what was going through my head.
These alpha stamps are an old Hero Arts set (I think) but you can find more current sets here.
I used Archival ink for the stamping and a bit over and around the page.


After the first, kind of emotional, page I felt free enough in my head to play without my inner critic going off. I grabbed whatever was close, starting with black gesso, and a magazine face applied with Matte Medium.

Looking through my stash of collage materials I came across some ancient sticky felt ribbon (omg, remember these?!) and these fantastic pages pinched from my mate Lisa's awesome murder book (Thank you Lisa, eternally grateful xx). The title worked for me, but I also wanted to include the story, well, because it's dark, creepy, and entertaining.

So, adding the felt to the right side, I balanced it with some starburst stencilling.
I smothered the lady's head in Dylusions paints, it was supposed to look like flowers but I gave up on that idea, and stuck down my gruesome story, again using Matte Medium.

To brighten the page I added pink paint. Then lastly, swiped the edges and across some bits of the page with black Archival ink and added black drips.

This page was quick, messy, and fun. Just the way I like it.


I recommend you get yourself an art journal if you don't already have one, they really are cathartic, and a great place to explore with different mediums and practise your techniques.

Remember you still have a week to join in our challenge this month,
we love seeing your projects, and you could win $30 to spend in the shop.
Jason took this video of the amazing shop, check it out!!


Thanks for coming by,
til next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment