Hello creative friends!
I’m back to share another page from my art journal, and this one is all about bold colour, expressive layers and letting the page build itself as I work.
I started this spread with plenty of white space and a fabulous focal image, then began working around her with a really vibrant combination of hot pink, orange, black and white. I absolutely love the energy these colours create together. The pink and orange bring warmth and life to the page, while the black gives everything strength and contrast.
Starting with Loose Layers
I began quite freely, applying my colour in loose, rough strokes rather than trying to make anything too neat or controlled.
You can see areas where the paint is heavier and others where it has been scraped, brushed or dragged across the surface. I deliberately left sections of the original white background showing through. I think that white space is really important when working with such strong colours—it gives all those beautiful brights somewhere to breathe.
Black was then introduced through the painted areas, drips, splatters and marks. It immediately changed the feel of the spread and helped anchor those gorgeous pinks and oranges.
Building Up the Texture
Once my main colour was established, I continued building the background with layers of text, stamping, dots, lines and little areas of pattern.
I love adding these details gradually. Some remain quite obvious, while others almost disappear beneath the next layer. That’s one of my favourite things about mixed media—you don’t need to see every single thing you add for it to contribute to the finished page.
The little black dots against the white areas are such a simple element, but they help connect the different sections of the spread beautifully.
Adding Movement with the Birds
The black birds became a really important part of this page.
I scattered them across both sides of the spread rather than keeping them confined to one area. They create movement and lead your eye from the left side of the journal, across the centre and towards my focal image.
I also added little touches of yellow around some of the birds. It’s only a tiny detail, but it gives them another pop against the pink, orange, black and white background.
Creating My Focal Image
My girl is definitely the star of this spread.
I love the contrast between her dark silhouette and the vibrant colour surrounding her. Rather than completely filling the area behind her, I kept plenty of white around her head and face. This allows the image to stand out and gives her a really strong presence on the page.
I then allowed some of my pinks, oranges and darker marks to travel across and around the image so she became part of the artwork rather than feeling separate from the background.
The Finishing Details
As the page developed, I continued adding those little details that I love—scribbled marks, black splatters, text, dots and imperfect painted edges.
I never feel that every area of an art journal page needs to be filled. Sometimes knowing when to leave an area alone is just as important as knowing when to add another layer.
The words I chose to finish this spread say:
“EXPECT NOTHING AND APPRECIATE EVERYTHING.”
I think they work beautifully with the freedom and energy of this page.
For me, that sentiment also fits the way I approach art journaling. I can begin with an idea, but I don’t necessarily expect the finished page to look a particular way. I work intuitively, respond to what is happening in front of me and appreciate all those unexpected little moments that appear along the way.
So pull out your journal, choose a couple of colours that make you happy and start making marks. Paint, scrape, stamp, splatter and layer. Leave some white space. Add something unexpected. Most importantly, enjoy seeing where your creativity takes you.
Happy creating!
Lisa Oxley
Scrapping Clearly Curated Collective Team Designer
No comments:
Post a Comment