Thursday 31 May 2018

Using busy papers for backgrounds - Scrapbook page with DT Katie

Good morning on this last day of May. Can you believe we are now about half way through this year? Crazy, crazy stuff I tell you! I am sharing a page today using the beautiful Crate Paper Maggie Holmes Chasing Dreams collection. In this collection is a beautiful piece of patterned paper called Royale, and it is like a patterned tile, too pretty to cut up, but a bit too busy to use by itself, so I came up with a solution. I found a simple repeated pattern background cut file in the Silhouette shop and cut this out of black cardstock and then used this as an overlay over the background paper. The result is you can still see and appreciate the pretty background paper but now it is toned down so the photos don't get lost on top!



The photos that I chose to use have some pinkish tones in them so worked well with the background paper. I then chose some papers to layer with, they needed to be smaller patterns, neutral or in tones to stand out. I ended up using: Delicate, Stay True, Hello Beautiful, Lovely as well as the Magical Gold Glitter acetate. Try not to be scared of patterns, especially when layering, as often you only have a small amount peeking out and the pattern is not as "intense" as it might look on a whole sheet of paper. If you want to get your hands on all of the papers you can pick up the Chasing Dreams paper pad, then you have plenty of choices!


 I used one of the sticker phrases for my title and layered with thickers from the Gather Collection as well as bits from Chasing Dreams. (I love how they work together!). I also added a vintage button into the mix for a bit of solid colour and added dimension.


 In this cluster I again used a mix of elements as mentioned before. One thing to keep in mind is when you are tucking things in behind layers you can cut elements in half to give you twice the usage! I did this with the yellow sticker.


Have you played with the deco foil glue pen yet? This is a great way to add foil touches to you pages, embellishments and even wood veneer. I decided to add some gold foil to three of the hearts on the die cut overlay. The process is very simple, you simply "colour in" the section you want to foil with the glue, allow to get to almost completely dry (still slightly tacky), lay the foil pretty side up over the glue area and use something to burnish the area to get the foil to take. I use a bone scorer, you could use your fingernail or even a paddle pop stick, it is a bit like applying rub-ons. You will notice that the coverage isn't perfect, as it depends on how well you applied the glue, but that's OK, it gives a slightly distressed result.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope this inspires you to play with busy patterns or maybe have a go at foiling. Until next time,

Katie x


No comments:

Post a Comment