Saturday 15 December 2018

Inspired by the December Mood Board - Christmas Cards with DT Katie Howard

Well we are in the thick of December now, how is everyone's shopping going? Me, well I have done some, but my holidays start half way through next week so I have a little time up my sleeve to finish things off!

Today I thought I would share some simple Christmas cards inspired by the December Mood Board and cards on Pinterest (who doesn't love wasting time here?!).

So here is the Mood Board:

No automatic alt text available.

I was inspired by the natural and neutral aspects in the pictures, the trees and the wreaths and also the darker greens and this is what I came up with:


I started with a cream base card and added a background using Maggie Holmes Gather paper in Kindred, which was perfect with it's leather look and stitching. I love that it looks like I stitched on the page! I used some more of the Gather collection in Magical, So Sweet and Beautiful to cut tall triangles to make some trees. This card is perfect for using up your scraps! I added some faux stitching through the trees using a black paint pen and topped them with stars from Heidi Swapp's glitter puffy sticker alpha set (I love when they have more than just alphas!) and a chipboard star from the Crate Paper Good Vibes collection. I finished with a Christmas stamp sentiment from an old stamp set I have and there you go one quick card.


This second card is inspired by the wreaths and in keeping with the darker greens and neutral colours. This is also a great card to use up left over scraps. I started by punching out some circles in 0.5 inch and 0.75 inch sizes from the following papers from the Maggie Holmes Chasing Dreams collection: Be Happy, Garden Club, Gold Glitter acetate and Lovely and also My Story from the Gather collection (this one is a gorgeous light wood patterned paper). Once I had an assortment of circles in patterns and sizes I drew a rough circle outline and then began layering and filling in the circle. Once I had the punched circles down, I added some sequins from the Pink Paislee Birthday Bash pack which included the gold stars as well, but pick whichever sequins suit your colour scheme! The I added a puffy sticker bow from the Chasing Dreams collection and stamped a Christmas message, and a second card is born!

So a quick and simple couple of cards for you to try out and use up some of your scraps. Thanks for stopping by today and catch you next time!

Katie x



No comments:

Post a Comment