Tuesday 13 February 2018

Sweet - A Girly Scrapbook Page with Katie Howard

Good morning!
Half way through another month already, can you believe it?!
February is a busy month for me with two of my three kids having birthdays, as well as other things,
and being a shorter month it always seem to disappear as quickly as it came.
How about you? Do you have a month that seems to come and go in a flurry of activity?

Today I am sharing a page that I created based on the February sketch, have you had a go yet?
I hope that my take on the sketch might inspire you to give it a try if you haven't already.
This is the album location in the Facebook group where you can find the sketch
and load your entry - here. To get you started here is the sketch

No automatic alt text available.

This is my take on it


The most obvious thing I did was flip the sketch, I did this because my photos have my niece looking into the page with this orientation rather than out of the page if I had left the sketch as is, this helps keep your eyes within the page. A good tip to remember in your own designs! I also shrunk down the main sketch so I could mat it on a background.

I had a bit of fun playing with the Crate Paper Maggie Holmes Chasing Dreams collection, I love how I was able to pick papers and elements that carried through the pink, green, and yellow colour combination. I used Graceful for my pink mat of the main sketch and Library for the background of the main sketch. Then there were bits from Be Happy, Cheerful, Garden Club, and Adventure for matting and fussy cutting.With the floral nature of the collection I decided to continue the theme with some of the Heidi Swapp Minc Art Screen flowers. I turned these Art Screen flowers into foiled flowers to add some extra shine to the page.


Besides the art screen I used Reactive Screen Ink and Rose Gold foil. If screen printing isn't your thing there is also reactive paint and mist for adding touches of foil to your projects! Use the paint and mist through stencils and with masks, so many options!


Once my print was dry and I foiled it, I decided to colour the flowers using some Distress Oxide inks. I simply swiped some ink on my craft mat, added some water, then painted as I would with water colours. The great thing about doing this is the foil acts as a resist and can be painted over without losing its shine and effect. I used Worn Lipstick, Picked Raspberries, Fossilized Amber, and Cracked Pistachio as they matched the Crate Paper collection the best.


Once painted I just needed to let them dry then fussy cut them out. Lucky for me the shapes weren't too complicated as I am not very good at fussy cutting!


 Then it was time to assemble. I created some clusters with the foiled and painted flowers according to the sketch and finished off with some chipboard hearts from Heidi Swapp. This set of stickers worked perfectly with the Chasing Dreams colours too.


The vintage buttons from the Chasing Dreams collections are way too cute, here I used one of the black ones over the hole in the tag. The stickers in this collection are also fabulous with some being gold foiled, which worked with my gold foiled flowers perfectly! To finish off I used the puffy thickers to create my title surrounded by some cute sequins. Have I said lately how I love puffy stickers??!! This font is nice and thin and, being white, it gives a nice subtle look that doesn't overpower the softness of the page.

So that is it from me today.
I hope I have given you some ideas on how to change up the sketch to suit you and your photos, and that you give it a go!

Thanks for stopping by,
Katie x


3 comments:

  1. beautiful page Katie! I love the Minc and paint flowers :) your niece is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is totally cute!
    and, yes, that Minc and watercolour combo is fab, love this page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful love how you moved the focal points

    ReplyDelete